I used to travel a lot …. pre-kids. I pretty much lived for my holidays and getting away from work whether it be for a weekend on a city break or for longer to chill out on a beach. Nowadays the trips are less frequent but I could happily spend hours looking at travel online. I blame my mother and grandparents for my obsession in this, all of whom were avid travellers. In the past I have always aimed for more luxurious trips, but now I am adding in a couple of new dimensions in …. what are the eco-credentials of the hotel and how family friendly are they?
Fifi Friendly travel is still about enjoying some luxury travel but being a bit more thoughtful about your travel choices. One of the hotels that really jumped out at me for a mini break is the Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht Hotel. First off, I adore Amsterdam. I used to visit there every other weekend when Mr Fifi Friendly worked there. There is something about this city, it is potentially one of my favourite cities in Europe. Great to relax in, great energy, great food, great shopping and I love the Canals! Amsterdam, to me, is one of those cities that is a perfect all year round destination. I always like to stay in the same area as our old flat and based on the stunning Prinsengracht, the multi-award winning Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht Hotel is perfectly located for shopping and eating in the Nine Streets or getting around the rest city.
This Hyatt owned hotel was designed by local Marcel Wanders and is a gorgeous mix of modern boutique style, sumptuously luxurious interiors with a nod to classic Delft design. Thumbs up so far. There are Nespresso machines in all rooms. Complimentary soft drinks and snacks in the mini bar. The toiletries in the rooms are by Zenology who are proud to be free from nasties including parabens and mineral oils. Other points that help set this hotel apart are its 24 hour lounge, 24 hour fitness studio, free Wifi, the REN treatments in the Spa and even a library that you can borrow books from…. whilst drinking a complimentary glass of wine…. how very civilised!
The Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht really commits to being green and not only is fully aware of how it impacts the environment as a hotel but also encourages how we as guests can be more eco-friendly whilst helping them boost their sustainable development efforts. Very rarely, please read never, have I seen a hotel suggest you pack lighter for your travel, organise eco-friendly activities, hire bikes to get around the city, consider CO2 emissions when booking your travel or contribute to local economy by buying local products. Little wonder why the Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht Hotel was awarded the Green Globe Certificate (the top global certificate for sustainability).
This list below will give you further indication at how seriously they take it.
- energy consumption is audited to keep it minimised
- all the heat and cold storage is kept under soil
- guests are given energy cards and energy is turned off when the guest leaves their room
- more efficient mini bars and TVs have been installed in rooms as well as work based exhaust hoods in kitchen.
- waste is minimised through sorting, recycling, reusing containers and choosing suppliers who co-operate with Sustainability Policy
- use of eco certified products from paper to in room toiletries to dishwashing products
- water consumption is reduced by offering guests the opportunity to re-use towels and also by introducing motor sensors to men’s urinals
- each staff member is trained on environmental awareness as part of Hyatt Earth Program.
It is official. The Andaz Amsterdam Prinsengracht is a very Fifi Friendly hotel!!