During my recent spring clean of my bathroom and beauty drawers it really hit me how much plastic I actually had in my home. Yes plastic is cheap for brands, yes it is easy to use but it is also not great for the environment. If you are looking for the reasons why plastic is not so fantastic, let me explain briefly.
At its creation, toxic gases are released as plastic is made. Not all plastic can be recycled, in fact a huge amount can’t be. Once we are finished with it, this disgarded plastic never fully breaks down or decomposes, instead it just sits in your local landfill site with all of its other eternal plastic friends. That is if it actually makes it to the landfill. Many bits of plastic end up in seas and oceans where it is mistaken for food and is digested by fish and other marine animals.
My wishful self would love to have a plastic free home, but realistically that may not happen right now. So, I have been looking into ways to reduce the plastic overload in the Fifi Friendly household. Here are my tops tips.
- Ditch the shower gels and liquid soaps and use a bar of soap. It lasts so much longer and also has no plastic container housing it
- Start using natural exfoliants instead of products with microbeads
- Use a bamboo toothbrush. These are made from a sustainable source and also look pretty cool
- Choose products that are in bottles or containers that can be recycled
- Don’t use your toilet like a bin. Put wipes, dental floss, cotton wool, sanitary products and condoms in the bin instead of flushing them down the toilet
I would love to hear of any top tips you have. Until next time….. bye!
You can follow me on Twitter @iamfififriendly, Pinterest, Instagram , LinkedIn, YouTube
and on Facebook.